You’ve probably heard that spring is the perfect time to sell your home. Guess what? It’s true. In fact, did you know that there’s actually a spread of two weeks during which homes typically sell the fastest? It’s true. And if you hadn’t guessed it – that time is smack in the middle of spring – and it’s coming up quickly.
Between May 1st and May 15th, homes traditionally fly off the market faster than any other time of the year – it probably has something to do with all that spring motivation we’re all feeling. Time for change, time for growth, time for new. Right?
But before you can get new, you’ve got to get YOUR house ready for that super-important 15 days, so let’s make an action plan.
PREP TO SELL! GETTING YOUR HOME SPRING-MARKET READY
Everything seems just a little cheerier and brighter in the spring – and the best way to take advantage of all those rose-colored lenses people seem to be sporting is to make sure that your home is shiny and ready for it’s would-be buyers. Even if your home doesn’t need a major overhaul, there are a few quick fixes you can make to get it curb-appeal and first-glance prepped without breaking the bank (or your back) in the process.
- Wash your windows. I mean until they sparkle. There’s nothing more distracting than fingerprints or smudges on a window, and clean windows change the whole look of the front of a house. Believe me. So clear the palette and let the sun do it’s part in helping your home look it’s best.
- Take a step back. Like, literally. Walk across the street and look at your house with a critical eye. What stands out? What could be improved? What will new home-buyers see first when they pull up? Start with the basics – rake, mow and hedge. Trim bushes and pull weeds. Pressure wash the exterior and the driveway.
- Fresh paint. Does your front door and shutters look a little faded? Make a huge impact with a fresh coat of paint.
- Update your hardware. Update exterior light fixtures and house numbers.
- Take advantage of the season. Fill pots and planters with bright, colorful blooms and update your front walk and porch. Make an impact with some fresh plantings in strategic places around your yard that will make a big impact when people first lay their eyes on your home.
- Welcome Mat. Seriously. It’s the little details that make the biggest difference.
It may not seem like a lot, but if you put a good weekend worth of work into your home, it will be ready to put it’s best face forward when those two big weeks roll around.
Looking for some other tips? I’d be happy to stop by and help you figure out how to get your home spring-market ready! Give me a call – let’s do this, together.